Sunday, July 24, 2005

Saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory last night (I have a rule that I try to see any movie that has a $50 million opening, because when that many Americans like a film it's usually worth seeing), and I was surprised how good it was. Very clever, very beautiful visually, and even made fun of itself by being absurdly over-the-top in several places (Charlie's house is ludicrously ramshackle, and they have some fun with that toward the end by panning and showing it sitting next to a perfectly normal neighborhood), but at the same time a family-friendly film you could bring your kids to without squirming. This is a great example of the kind of wonderfully enjoyable films Hollywood can make when it tries.

Depp is perfectly cast in this part, and plays it very well. As much as I don't like Johny Depp's politicial views, I really enjoy much of his acting. Boycotting an actors' movies over his political views strikes me as being sort of like boycotting an 8-year-old boy's school play over his stance that "girls are icky;" it's really giving far too much gravitas to something that has none. I just try to remember our oft-ridiculous celebrity actor/actress class are not paid millions of dollars for their political insights and acumen, they're paid to dress up, look pretty, and recite other people's words in little make-believe plays, and that's the only context in which Depp or any other actor should be taken seriously.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ben Hur said...

"Saw Charlie and the Chocolate factory last night (I have a rule that I try to see any movie that has a $50 million opening, because when that many Americans like a film it's usually worth seeing)"

So would that include such unforgettable classics as "Austin Powers in Goldmember", "The Mummy Returns", "Monsters Inc.", "The Two Towers", "The Grinch", "Austin Powers 2", "I, Robot", "8 Mile", "The Village", "2 Fast 2 Furious", "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"? Pretty nifty rule there, genius.

4:16 PM  
Blogger TallDave said...

I'm not sure they all had $50M opening weeks, but I did see most of those, and while they aren't "unforgettable classics) I thought they were well worth the price of admission and a good way to spend a couple hours.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Dean Esmay said...

I tend to see it the same way, except I wait to see what the second weekend's box looks like. First weekend can be fuelled entirely by hype and advertising. Second weekend is where word of mouth has influenced people--and word of mouth is what really sells a movie. If it's still going gangbusters second weekend, that's a good indication that the movie is striking a chord with a lot of people.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home