Wednesday, July 13, 2005

James Lileks asks "Do people who have cats ever put their faces in the creatures just to smell them? Smell that good cat smell? Is there such a thing?"

I can answer that: yes, yes, and yes. I have two Burmese kitten brothers, and every day when I come home they greet me at the door and I pick them up and nuzzle them (cats have glands along the side of their face that, when rubbed against, release pheromones that relax them, or so claims Cats for Dummies) and take in their kitteny-fresh scent, which they respond to with the exaggerated squint that functions as the feline smile and also a kind of snorting grunt of blissful hello-ness. Like Lileks' dog Jasper, they're also quite expressive in ther vocalizations (esp for cats). Apparently the breed is known for that, and for being unusually engaged and affectionate.

I never thought of myself of a "cat person" (I had a black Lab growing up, and getting these guys was my gf's idea), but they've really won me over. Funny, I thought I was the only person who pre-emptively misses their pets.

2 Comments:

Blogger FIAR said...

Err, I do that with my dogs... smell them. Most of the time they don't smell bad either... at least not to me.

9:52 PM  
Blogger TallDave said...

Furry animlas are wonderful. I think it's hardwired into us to be attached to their feel and smell. The desire to domesticate animals would certainly be an evolutionary advantage.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home