Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Da Mayor's son Patrick joins up

For the first time in my life as a Chicagoland native, I am proud of a Daley.

Some days I still wish I had joined the Marines right after high school. I probably wouldn't have the six-figure income and great job I do now, but I would be MAKING A DIFFERENCE. My co-workers think I'm crazy, but those guys are out there risking their asses, doing a shit job no sane person would want to do but which is absolutely necessary to have someone do, and changing the course of history in the name of liberty and democracy. They are true modern-day heroes.

I had just about made up my mind to join, when I was offered a generous scholarship and decided to go to college instead. Also, with the Cold War over and Clinton having just been elected and promising to gut the military, it didn't look like I would be given the opportunity to do anything worthwhile in the military.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home